Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sam at 2 Years, 3 Months

A quarter of my daughter's third year has come and gone and while not much has changed since last month, just that idea is blowing my mind.

This month Sam has started to show a tiny bit of fear. We were in NYC this past week and she cried on the merry-go-round, gripping the pole so tight that her little fingers were blanched. We went to Rainforest Cafe a couple weeks ago and the giant gorillas made her grip us.

She is also starting to show a little preference for home. When we are out at the grandparents or a friends' she often asks to go home. On Thursday night in NY, she said, "I want to go home" and when we finally did return home, she was almost as happy as she was in FAO Schwartz, running the hallway, tackling the cat, declaring "I am so happy to see you," to the old fur ball.

R wonders if we might be doing her a disservice by taking her out and about so much, but I think the opposite. I like that she feels so comfortable at home, but I want her out in the world. It is good for her.

She has continued to ask to go to the potty more and more (and does so) to the point where I feel like she is forcing our hand. We may try to do it this month even though I am not really feeling up to it. On the other hand, it would be really nice to lighten our diaper load by half.

We started using No More Tangles on her hair this month, which has at least helped me brush it once a week or so. Her blond mane is my arch nemesis, though. Lucky for her, she got my hair and not her father's (mine is thick, R's was fine and is now mostly gone), but my hair as a child was a nightmare, brambly and dense. As it thickens, I am even more afraid. I can remember living with veritable dreadlocks for park of my childhood because I hated getting it brushed so much. Plus she has cowlicks, which I really hope she outgrows.

She continues to eat almost nothing, but we have instituted the new policy of "you eat what I make or you don't eat." Picky eating, like always wanting to "go home" is a pet peeve of mine. I think it is very important to have an open mind and try new things (both in food and in life), so while I will not force her to eat anything, I also will not provide her with a meal that is different from ours. This has helped a bit. She tried some Thai peanut stir-fry the other day ("too spicy") and has been eating clementines, among some other new fruits. But she is still not a big eater (except for gummy worms and "chocolate bunnies," which she could eat all day).


Not much else is new with her. Her vocabulary continues to expand and grow and she has become more pleasant (marginally so) this past month. But she still expects everything to be her way and throws fits whenever they are not. She is a blast, though and R and I crack up all the time at her silly ways.

Photos:



2 comments:

g and c boyarko family said...

She is just adorable! We have the same food policy with D...not always the most fun, but spares me from making 8 different dinners before he will eat anything :).

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Oooh! What a face! She's adorable. We use the Suave detangling spray and it KIND OF works. But only if we continue to brush it throughout the day. AND my eldest has curly hair... Yay...