Wednesday, March 21, 2007

This is the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius

Every parent searches for clues about who their child will be. Will she be happy and go-lucky because she smiles so much? Will she be ornery and demanding because she cries so much? We wait nine months to meet this little person and still their personality is a closely guarded secret, like a rosebud we are dying to pry apart. I know I am supposed to wait for it to unfold naturally, but I want to know NOW. Of course, in keeping with my metaphor, if you try to pry a rosebud open, it will die before its time. So, boo. We have to wait. And wait. And wait for our children to show themselves. So, where does a crazed parent turn when they want to their child's destiny NOW? Dionne Warwick's psychc friends network? NO! Astrology, my friend. It holds the answers.

I am a cancer. True to my sign, I love the home and family. I am loyal and fiercely protective and ridiculously capricious and moody. R is a Scorpio, the hottest sign in the Zodiac. Sensual, intense and passionate. But also full of reason and intellect. We are both water signs. My mother was also a Scorpio and I have found that certain signs repeat themselves in the people I am close to. My father and closest friend are both Aries. Both my high school best friend and my first serious boyfriend were Aquarians like Samara. They were both creative (both majored in art and excelled at it), independent and free spirited. So will my little water bearer also share these traits? According to Wikipedia:

"Individuals born under this sign are thought to have a creative, challenging, entertaining, progressive, stimulating, and independent character, but one which is also prone to rebelliousness, coldness, erraticism, and impracticality."

According to another site:

(Aquarian) LIKES:
Fighting for Causes
Dreaming and Planning for the Future
Thinking of the Past
Good Companions
Having Fun

(Aquarian) DISLIKES:
Full of Air Promises
Excessive Loneliness
The Ordinary
Imitations
Idealistic

Countless artists and poets have been Aquarians as they reach outside "civilized society" for something more. Right on. Did I mention how glad I am that she was not born a Capricorn (sorry, M). Aquarians are way cool. I know some people poo-poo astrology, but for me, it has always been accurate. So, I believe Samara will be a free-spirited, creative hippy girl who loves the color purple. It is my job to let that unfold. And if that means I have to let her draw on the walls, so be it. Maybe Jackson Pollock would have become a banker if his mother had taken his crayons away. And I am counting on Samara's art to keep us in the good nursing home someday, the one with Shuffleboard and prom.

No comments: