Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Don't It Make My Brown Eyes...

Can someone tell me what freak genetic anomoly occurred that made my daughter come out with bright, blue eyes? My sister informs me that my great grandmother had blue eyes (and my great aunt), but the rest of us are brown, brown, brown. R claims to have NO blue-eyed releatives. Now, I did those punnett squares in freshman year biology. But I seem to remember blue eyes as a recessive gene. Granted, I did not receive stellar grades in bio, but I did not fail either. So tell me, how do a man with hazel eyes and no blue-eyed relatives and a woman with brown eyes and two blue eyed relatives removed by three generations produce this Aryan child? On that note, I hope she keeps them!! Check 'em out:

4 comments:

Gal on the Go said...

She's so beautiful! Now I'm not sure if this is true or not, but thought I heard all babies are born with blue eyes and then they change. I could be wrong. But we know it' snot the mailman's child, so I'm thinking that might be it? Either way, brown or blue, she's a doll!

Kristi said...

Hmm... if this had happened to me, I would have suspected someone switched my eggs while they were fertilizing in the dish, lol.

Your daughter is beautiful, by the way. But I'm sure you know that already. :)

Anonymous said...

Bio nerd here - you are right about the Punnett squares that we learned in high school. Unfortunately in real life, the eye color genes thing is a bit more complicated. Since there are blue genes (ha) in your DNA and R has hazel eyes (another recessive...) it is possible that the bambina could keep her blue eyes. They might get darker as she gets older, but here's to wishful thinking! She's so cute!!

My Wombinations said...

Editor Girl: You are correct. Most caucasian babies are born with blue-grey eyes. But her eyes have gradually changed from that to their current bright blue. They may still change, but usually their eyes have changed by six weeks (according to her doctor).

Kristi: thank you!

Stephanie: HA! Thank you so much. That is very helpful.

To everyone: I have just been informed that R has several relatives with blue eyes... I guess he forgot his mother telling him about them. So, it really is not SUCH a mystery after all.