Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Have You Popped Yet?

I know people mean well. I just know it. They are asking because they care and because they want the up-to-the-minute news. So, why is it so annoying to be asked everyday if I have popped?

Some of the askers are very close to me, the first responders, if you will. If I know I am in labor, it is entirely likely that they too will know. Others are less in the fold, but even still, I am known for my email/blogging/facebook-savvy. Sometimes I even use that archaic telephone to spread my news. In other words, there is no way I would leave anyone in the dark. Last week I even left yoga for a minute in the midst of class to check my iphone. I am always in touch, always reachable.

Believe me, if and when I pop, you will know.

It is frustrating because I am so anxious myself. I know it is hard to tell what with my calm and centered posts of the past few weeks, but believe me there is anxiety there, teeming below the surface of my calm and rational exterior.

I have so many questions of my own that dealing with others' questions seems overwhelming. Among them:

Will this baby ever show up? Am I going to be pregnant for the rest of my life? Will labor start with a bang (or a popping noise)? Will I be able to make it to the hospital in time? Will I know I am in labor? Will I ever regain control of my pelvic floor muscles and stop leaking urine?

These are just a few of the swirling stressors in my head. And now I need to also deal with my friends' questions? It seems too much to bear.

So, trust me. Within hours of the birth of this kid, I will post it from on high. I will probably attempt blogging from my hospital room. No one will be in the dark. And until then, please do not ask if I have popped yet.

It may send me over the edge.

No comments: