Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Plight of the Urban Mama

Yesterday I met three other mom friends for a park date to enjoy the beautiful 70 degree weather. A conversation ensued:

Me: Wouldn't it be nice if we could let the kids go barefoot? They would love to walk and run without shoes.

Mother #1: Yes! Totally, like a meadow or something

Mother #2: A Meadow would be nice or like any kind of area with green lawn.

Mother # 3: That would feel nice between their toes

Me: Yeah, like a backyard

Mother # 1: Does anyone have one of those?

All silent.

Mother # 2: I have a concrete balcony. Does that count?

This made me laugh. It was as though none of use had even heard of such a thing. And while I think a child can have a unique and amazing upbringing city (Read Urban Babies Where Black--our children do yoga, wear black, go to galleries, jog, attend fine restaurants and take taxis just like the baby in the book). On the other hand, it was pretty amusing that none of us could even a fathom a backyard.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

In a lot of ways, I wish I was living the city life. That said, I do love my backyard, small as it is. And also, the pool. ;)

Unknown said...

I can't imagine not having a yard. Just today, all three of my kids were out in the backyard running barefoot and wading in the creek. Bridget even decided to take all her clothes off and play naked for the majority of the day (we're fairly secluded in the backyard).

beagle said...

I have a moss "lawn" . . . you can come visit any time.

Gal on the Go said...

That's so sad S! Well you and Sam are more than welcome to kick off your shoes and run through the yard at my new house. I think it could use a child running around on it :-) Hope you're well!