Friday, January 4, 2008

Iowa, Schmiowa

When I first moved to Boston 14 years ago, I would tell people that I was from Ohio and everytime, without fail, people would ask me what it was like to grow up in Iowa. "Isn't there a lot of corn?" one girl asked me. For some reason, on the East Coast, people get the two states confused. "Ok fine, somewhere in the Midwest." my exasperated art teacher said after I explained that my watercolor was of something I had seen in my hometown in Ohio--not Iowa.

My husband claims that people immediately lose interest in him upon learning that he grew up in Ohio, but not Iowa. Oh no. Because they got them a caucus. And I love it. Last night reminded me of all the excitement--and devastating pain--an election year can bring to the table.

As a native Iowan, I love the kick off to an election year because all the focus is on my home state (see how easily these lies can come). Do you think they will let me participate in the caucus next time on the basis of the fact that no one seems to know that Ohio and Iowa are two separate and distinct Midwestern states?

Last night's results were kind of amazing. I am thrilled with Obama's win not because I would have picked him over Edwards, but because I really, really like him. My main concern is whether he can win. This is why I am currently supporting Edwards, or as Auntie K says, "I'm basically supporting Candidate Insert Democrat Name Here and Candidate Not-Bush."

Yep, sign me up for Not Bush. And in that category, Obama is a pretty strong candidate. On the other hand, how frightening is it that Huckabee won? More frightening still is the fact that I watched his speech last night and was oddly charmed by this Homophobic, evil man who goes against everything I stand for. Man, if I am charmed, what does that say about the rest of the US? I was not, however, charmed by the vision of Chuck Norris standing behind him. Does anyone care who Chuck Norris is supporting? In fact, I would venture to say that having Chuck Norris as a supporter is more of a detriment than anything else.

I do have some faith in New Hampshire. They may be the "South of New England" but they are not going to support Huckabee. I find that hard to believe. So, I will calm myself with the notion that Huckabee's victory last night was a fluke, much like Chuck Norris' success in Hollywood. He represents someone somewhere in one of those interchangeable states. But not here. He ain't gonna take our territory. And if he does, I may have to go all Chuck Norris on his ass.

As an aside, I must say that I love coming from a state ("the bluest state in the country," according to Romney. Damn straight.) where one can be at a party where everyone is discussing who they are supporting in the primary and when I jokingly reply "Huckabee," everyone laughs and says, "No really. Who are you supporting?" Because let's face it, the man is a joke everywhere but Iowa/Ohio/Whatever.

I live for this shite.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

It was a good night, wasn't it? And the fact that Democrats had 91%more turnout at their caucus than in 2004 is quite something.

Now, I'm in Camp Hillary, but I'm also standing right next to you in Camp Anyone But Bush. And it seems that based on what happened in Iowa last night, we have a lot of company in camp.

Unknown said...

I'm also wearing an "anyone but Bush" t-shirt! Of course, I live in a state where Huckabee probably stands a chance. I used to think it would be lovely if he won the Repub. nomination, because this country wouldn't REALLY elect him and then the Dems would be a shoe-in. Then I flashed back to 2004 and 2000...and figured that was a really dangerous game to play.