Monday, June 25, 2007

Hmmmm

I feel no shame in calling myself a feminist. I believe that women are strong and capable. I believe that women are equal to men and deserve equal rights. But I also believe that with equality comes certain responsibilites so I get very upset about the legal inequality I see between men and women when it comes to issues of conception.

We hear about women's "rights" and, in the same discussion, of men's "responsibilities." When I read things like this I am disturbed by the implications and by a legal system that even allows such outrageous, blatant abuse.

Does anyone not see this as greedy and awful? 25K a month?! Who needs that? Just because a women is impregnanted by a rich man, is she entitled to that much money? Is it in the best interest of the child that the mother fleece the father?

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I read this in the paper this past weekend. Here are my thoughts on this: if 50's baby mama was his wife or his live-in girlfriend, if she stayed home to raise his kids, made his dinner, watched their kids while he toured the world, etc., then she's due her fair share of his millions.

However, in this case, it seems like she was a one-night stand that resulted in an "oops!" pregnancy. So no, she's not due what she's asking for (and the amount is insane, as it is).