Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Big Move

This is the song I will sing to Samara now that she is moving from her bassinet, safely esconsed in our room, to the big bad nursery with its wealth of sharp edges. My heart is breaking in a way that only Celine Dion knows. And so, I give you "My fear will go on and on" sung this to the tune of "My Heart will Go On."

Every night in my room
I see you. I hear you
That is why the monitor stays on

Far across the condo
and one room between us
Your sighs are carried by Sony

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe in still hearing your sounds
Once more, I open your door
and you're safe in your crib
But my fears do go on and on

The small bed was perfect
but then you outgrew it,
Started to sweat and to squirm

Sad was when we moved you
I'll cry for a lifetime
I wanted you in there till college

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe in still hearing your sounds
Once more, I'll open your door
and you're safe in your crib
But my fears will go on and on

Some terror does not go away

You're here, SIDS I'll not fear
But I know my fear will go on
We'll stay forever this way
Until I am gone
But my fears will live on and on

In all seriousness, this is a painful step for us. I have loved having my little baby in our room, but she is gradually growing too large for the smaller bed. And all I keep thinking? Once she is out, she is never coming back. So, please pardon the melodrama, but let's face it-I am no mellow mama. This is a hard one.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Oh, I can so sympathize. We kept Isabella in her bassinett in our room until she was 4.5 months, and it was so hard to move her to her crib, which is literally right next to our room.

Love your song, btw.