Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Offending (Again)

A few points of clarity with yesterday's post:

1.) I am in NO WAY advocating for private school over public. I am not sure why anyone would read this into the post b/c I did not even mention it, but to be simple and clear: I am not.

2.) I am merely stating my experience, one I will readily admit is not the norm and I was very lucky to have (and one I would like, if possible, to offer to my children). It does not mean I think everyone should have it or I am somehow better than anyone else b/c I had it.

3.) If my kids chose not to go to college, I would be tentatively accepting if they had a "plan."

4.) I think the way the university system in this country is set up is atrocious. It allows the wealthiest few the opportunity to attend the private schools while others cannot. It isn't fair. It needs to change.

Sometimes I am aware that what I write is offensive and I do so to be provocative. I think the best discussions come when people are honest and when they are willing to challenge the way they were raised to think. I am willing to do that and a lot of what the discussion yesterday (both here, on facebook and in offline discussions) did that for me. But I have to say, I am surprised by what a sensitive topic this is. I had no idea how many different things this topic would bring up (public versus private being a huge shock because I did not even mention it).

The reality is that if I tried to be sensitive to all different points of view, I would end up too paralyzed with fear to write. So sometimes I say things that are not well thought out or come out wrong. And sometimes people bring their own insecurities and preconceived notions to the table. I can't help that. But I can help clarify my points and make them as honest and real as possible. So, here it is.

I am glad for the opportunity to have a discussion and am attempting to keep an open mind to other viewpoints.

On that note, check out my new essay on Babble.

No comments: