Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Turn and Face the Strange

There have been so many changes around here lately and this week we are living in the eye of the storm.

Among them:

1.) Sam is in a big girl bed. We have been talking about it for weeks and finally just did it when Ani's swing died and he had to take over Sam's crib ASAP. I was worried about how the transition would go. Would she get up in the middle of the night, looking for us? Would I ever be able to get her down for a nap? I have to say, so far, so good. She loves the bed and goes down just as easily as before. We have only had a couple incidents where we had to lead her back to bed and it was really no big deal. Her newfound independence does take some getting used to, though. We had a "should learn to lock the door" moment the other day, but besides that, she seems to get the concept that bedtime means don't bug mommy and daddy.

Some photos:




2.) Sam is starting pre-school on Thursday. I am so excited about it because it seems like it will be a lot of fun for her. The place is very well-run and in a good space with a lot of outdoor space and a great indoor gym for winter despite being smack in the middle of bustling Cambridge. Sam and I visited today and she had a blast. I am working the whole morning on her first official day, so the transition should be ok and I think it will be great for her to have a basic introduction to curriculum and following directions.

3.) R's job situation is ever changing. All signs are pointing to this being one of the best things to ever happen to us in many ways, but we still have no guarantees. I am cagey because we have no idea how things will land, but there have been many positive developments and I do think it is safe to say that Rob is feeling very well-loved, popular and in demand right now. I am endlessly proud of him and so impressed at the number of opportunities he has in this economic climate. Now I just hope some of them work out.

4.) This final one is the one I can scarcely type without crying. Ani is starting one day a week of childcare. I know it is the right thing, but it is so painful. I am lucky to have so much flexbility and in the fact that it is only once a week. To start him in this is entirely my decision and I know what a privilege that is. But it does not make it any easier. He is only seven months old and has never been away from me for more than three hours. I think my arms will literally crave him while he is gone. But I have to cut the cord, painful as it is.

So, there it is. Our influx of change. Luckily, I am almost back to 100 percent physically (except my foot, which still hurts). For all my tears, I love change and crave it. So bring it on. I can take it.

1 comment:

notlikeacat said...

Good luck with the last one! I know the feeling. You'll both be fine. It will probably be harder for you, but it will be like a little playgroup for him. Plus you know and trust the place, which should help a lot.