Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Searching, Searching, Searching

Last night I started my official tours of preschools. Last night I also discovered I am about two years late in my search with Sam when I was told that I should apply for "that one" (gesturing at the sleeping three-month-old in my arms) right now.

I liked the school a lot--a great religious program, extremely qualified teachers and a play-based (over academic-based) curriculum. But never have a I felt more like Jamie Lynne Spears or Bristol Palin. Over the months I have spent parenting I have had quite a few teen mom moments, but never more so than last night.

I am not sure this is the right preschool for us. It is very expensive (read: 15k a year for two half days a week) and somewhat far away. I get the sense that many of the mothers would only do this, meanwhile I also need childcare while I work.

Now we are starting to look into co-op preschools, which I think may be more our scene. But this is far more stressful--and I am far more self conscious--than originally believed.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

That is an insane amount of money. I know you live in a much larger city than I do, but the semi-cooperative nursery school I'm looking into for Isabella is $882/year for two half-days a week. Good luck with your decision. I don't envy your position.

Mimi37 said...

I live in a city the same-ish size as you, and I pay literally 10 times less at our co-op for two half-days a week. I'm just sayin.' Think of the vacation you could take with that money. Think of the college you could pay for.

Lis Garrett said...

I'll echo the others. Bridget goes two half-days a week, and I pay $82 a month. She has a SPLENDID time, and her teacher is terrific. Plus, I like how close the parents and kids are, it being a co-op and all.