Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Searching, Searching, Searching

Last night I started my official tours of preschools. Last night I also discovered I am about two years late in my search with Sam when I was told that I should apply for "that one" (gesturing at the sleeping three-month-old in my arms) right now.

I liked the school a lot--a great religious program, extremely qualified teachers and a play-based (over academic-based) curriculum. But never have a I felt more like Jamie Lynne Spears or Bristol Palin. Over the months I have spent parenting I have had quite a few teen mom moments, but never more so than last night.

I am not sure this is the right preschool for us. It is very expensive (read: 15k a year for two half days a week) and somewhat far away. I get the sense that many of the mothers would only do this, meanwhile I also need childcare while I work.

Now we are starting to look into co-op preschools, which I think may be more our scene. But this is far more stressful--and I am far more self conscious--than originally believed.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

That is an insane amount of money. I know you live in a much larger city than I do, but the semi-cooperative nursery school I'm looking into for Isabella is $882/year for two half-days a week. Good luck with your decision. I don't envy your position.

M said...

I live in a city the same-ish size as you, and I pay literally 10 times less at our co-op for two half-days a week. I'm just sayin.' Think of the vacation you could take with that money. Think of the college you could pay for.

Unknown said...

I'll echo the others. Bridget goes two half-days a week, and I pay $82 a month. She has a SPLENDID time, and her teacher is terrific. Plus, I like how close the parents and kids are, it being a co-op and all.