Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks

Today, the name of the game is gratitude and despite the sleepless nights, near constant crying, juggling and stress, I do have a whole lot to be grateful for this year.

We had a new baby, my work has gone to places I never even imagined when I started freelancing, I have set new and exciting goals and Sam has blossomed into a feisty, loving, fun toddler.

I love Thanksgiving, not just for the food, but also for the reflection. Sometimes when I get so stressed, I forget how lucky I really am to have an extended family who drives me insane sometimes but with whom I can always be myself and love fiercely.

Most of all, though, I am eminently grateful for my husband and children. As difficult as it can be, I would not want any other life than the one I am currently living.

I am totally in sync with my husband, something that I am learning is very rare. He remains my best friend, favorite sparring partner and the only person who can make me pee my pants laughing even at the times I feel like burying my head under a cushion for a month. Every year I say I am grateful for him, but I never really go into why. I think his sense of humor is such a blessing. Sometimes after we put the kids to bed, we get in these silly moods that I can't explain, but our constant laughter and friendship helps me destress in a way that nothing else does. 5.5 years into our marriage and two kids later, I am more in love with my husband than I was the day we got married. Not many couples can say that and, of anything else in my life, it is this I am the most thankful for.

This is not to say I do not have other blessings. I am also ever grateful for the newbie. He is different than his sister and has brought a balance to our family that we definitely needed. I am looking forward to all of the changes that will come over the years and to watching our children grow.

My career has gone places this year I never expected and I am so grateful for the work I find creatively fulfilling, interesting, fun and lucrative.

All in all, I have a lot to be thankful for this year and I am so grateful to the yearly reminder. What are you most grateful for?

Happy thanksgiving.

No comments: