Sunday, October 21, 2007

Baby's First Halloween

I love Halloween. It is easily my favorite holiday. My palms start sweating in August as I anticipate the hayrides, scares, costumes and candy to come.

Since R's birthday is Oct. 31, we often have a Halloween/birthday party for him. This year, we decided to mix things up with a baby fiesta.

The day was hot and humid, but all the babies came costumes. We had a chicken, a giraffe, a zebra, a ballerina and, of course, the littlest chili pepper:



I had a big afternoon planned: an itunes library full of songs like "The Monster Mash", "Purple People Eater", "Don't Fear the Reaper" and more; "baby pumpkin pie" made of pumpkin, yobaby vanilla, nutmeg and baby cereal; candy for the parents; prizes for each baby in a variety of categories; the reading of two "spooky" board books and a "finger painting" game featuring vanilla pudding dyed orange and black with food coloring.

We stripped the babies down for the activity:



For some (stupid) reason, I assumed the babies would keep to themselves, maybe put a hand printo or two on the paper and generally create works of art we could later show them, as in "this is what you made on your first Halloween, honey!" It did not work out that way. I am not sure I can possibly convey the level of debauchery and mayhem that ensued, so it is better left documented photograhically:




Yes, all of the babies were green, even after being scrubbed for 20 minutes. And yes, we had to do three hours of clean up and there is still a green rim of filth in our bathtub. And yes, the poster board was rendered useless and had to be thrown away. But it was one of the funniest things I have seen in my life. It was memorable. And it was the best start to Sam's first Halloween I could imagine.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

LOL
This is awesome! And I believe their works of art show Impressionistic tendencies. I would fish the posterboard out of the garbage and throw it up on eBay.