Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving

I guess the point of Thanksgiving is to do more than just eat turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Although I must say the foods do create a medley of flavor that is worth savoring just once a year for the amazing special-ness factor, but I digress... The other point of the holiday is to be with family and to be grateful for all that has happened in the past year. Well I am here in Maine with my parents, sister, husband and dog. So I can check that whole "being with family" thing off the list. I must say it is lovely. Currently I am seated in the study area of the house overlooking expansive woods on one side and a massive lake on the other. I can hear E in the kitchen making apple pie and the smells are wafting in. We have spent the morning chatting in the various rooms and talking decorating since the lake house is undergoing some renovations. R is reading and sleeping, both of which he rarely gets to do at home. All in all, a very nice thanksgiving. Last night we received a huge package from Rs mother full of so many baby things we could hardly believe it. Lots o' pink for our little girl. I can't wait to see her in the clothes. There was also a book of photos from R's mother exploring R's side of the family. There were photos of R aand his brother/parents as babies and photos of grandparents and aunts and uncles. I know it meant so much to R. He even brought it up to Maine to share it with my family. So, I guess today I am thankful for family and my close friends who have been so generous to me. I am so grateful to have R for a husband. He is my best friend, confidant and favorite sparring partner. I never imagined I would find anyone who coplemented me as well as he does. I am grateful for my close friend, one in particular, who has overcome a lot this year and who I find new ways of being impressed by and grateful for every year. I am thankful for the baby I currently feel moving inside me and grateful for the fact that we were able to have this pregnancy. I was so scared that we would struggle once we decided to "pull the goalie." That was not the case and I am just so grateful for that. I am grateful that (knock wood) the pregnancy has been mostly a healthy one. And I am so thankful that next year we should have one extra guest at our thanksgiving table. We are all waiting for her.

No comments: